Friday, March 4, 2011

DRJ#1 Hamlet, Act 1

My initial reaction was also a bit of anguish to the old English that accompanies Shakespeare. But having read some Shakespeare before I knew that it's not as bad once you start actually reading you just have to get in the mindset. The play reminds me of movies and books about revenge where you know it's not going to end well but have to keep watching/reading.
I'm going to write about Hamlet as the first character as he is the main character and I feel we know about more about him at this point than any other characters. I think one of the more interesting aspects about Hamlet is how he is both impulsive yet slow and plotting with his actions. The fact that he cannot use both to decide his actions is a flaw in his character. I think he fits the role of Greek tragic hero because he is headstrong and just about everyone around him ends up dying.
I will talk more about death and life that the first act presents to us. The first time that the guards see the ghost they are frightened of him and take it as an omen that more death is coming because of rumors of wars. Aside from the ghost Hamlet is still in mourning over his father's death longer than it seems was acceptable at the time. The wedding and the white that accompanies it contrasts with the dark clothes that Hamlet wears. Claudius tries to console Hamlet by saying all fathers die in his quote “But you must know your father lost a father, That father lost, lost his, and the survivor bound In filial obligation for some term To do obsequious sorrow” Claudius and Hamlet's views on death may be contrasting because of the age difference, and how the death transpired of course.

5 comments:

  1. I really like your description of Hamlet. He is impulsive in making the decision to avenge his father's death but I think he is slow in plotting and taking action because of his morals. I don't think it is a character flaw at all, I believe that while he wants revenge, he is unsure if killing Claudius is the best thing. He is conflicted between getting revenge for his father, or going against his own morals and killing a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a rough time with the old english as well, but what you said about it being necessary to be in the mindset I agree with. I actually love Shakespeare, but it has been a long time since I read any of his plays and it was interesting to get back in the groove, so to speak.
    I had the same initial reaction to this first act, in that I felt that this tragedy was similar in type to most that we have seen played out in other forms of media, like TV and movies or books. I enjoyed your desciption of what you felt Hamlet's character embraced as a Greek hero; it gave me a different perspective, than my own initial reaction, on what his personality may actually be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had trouble with the old english. I agree with your description on Hamlet's faults being his slow reactions to his impulses will create his downfall. Also I saw him as the greek hero as well, but i saw Hamlet being is own worst tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you pointed out that we can basically figure out how the story is going to end right from the beginning. We have seen this story of revenge many times, and just like how you pointed it out, it is very similar to a traditional tragic hero. I think that even though we know how this story is going to end up, Shakespeare's audience probably did not. I doubt that the people that watched his plays in the 1600's were all that accustomed to stories of revenge and tragic heros.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like all of us are in the same boat when it comes to understanding this stuff. I agree with you that this story is very similar to modern day society and can relate to movies of today. I think that the resemblance between the story and the darkness represents the mourning and dark feeling of the story.

    ReplyDelete